SPSS and CSV files can be imported into Crunch.
CSV and SPSS files may also be contained in Zip files. If a Zip file is provided, it must contain exactly one SPSS or CSV file.
To import data:
- Navigate to the folder where you would like to upload the file. You can return to the folder list at any time by clicking the logo on the top left of the screen or by closing the currently open dataset by clicking the dataset name and selecting Close.
- Click the folder name shown at the top of the screen and select New Dataset from the dropdown.
- Select either Comma-separated values or IBM SPSS.
- You can select a file on your local computer, or enter the URL of a file that is hosted somewhere else:
- To select a local file, click Select File and use your computer’s file selector to choose a file.
- To import a file from a URL, enter the URL under Enter Source URL, and then click Upload.
- While the dataset uploads, enter a name, description, and start and end dates – a default name will be provided based on the file name.
If your input data file is over 100 megabytes, you should use a file-hosting service and import using a hosted URL.
[If you are using Dropbox, one way to get that hosted URL is as follows. View the file in your browser on Dropbox.com, then select it with the checkbox next to its name, then on the right side of the screen click the "Share" button in the row for this file. This generates a pop-up window and at the bottom of that window is a hyperlink ("copy link"), which you can paste into the Crunch web app upload window as above. Note that you may need to edit a parameter at the end of the link so that the code for downloads is OK (e.g., "dl=0" should be updated as "dl=1").]
Once the dataset has finished importing, click Finish. The newly imported dataset will be opened.