This article is part of The Definitive Guide to Uploading and Preparing Data
Putting your variables into folders in the Variable Organizer is an important and useful first step in getting a tidy dataset. It is a key part of How data should look in Crunch: setting up a tidy dataset.
- Putting variables into folders that represent questionnaire section breaks helps the researcher (and DP department) find variables.
- Tucking the source variables away into "Hidden" (if you've created a categorical array or multiple response variable from them) means you don't overclutter the main variable display. Likewise, it may not be useful to show the respondent ID or other system/dummy variables.
In the web app
- Go to Dataset Properties > Edit Variables to create folders and drag-drop variables. See: Organizing Variables
- In Variable Properties - is the ability to select "Hide Variable" as well
- See this vignette: https://crunch.io/r/crunch/articles/variable-order.html
- See this article for Bulk changing the metadata of a dataset in a CSV (created and executed in R)