This article is part of The Definitive Guide to Uploading and Preparing Data
Putting your variables into folders in the Variable Organizer is an important and useful first step in getting a tidy dataset. It is a key part of How data should look in Crunch: setting up a tidy dataset.
- Putting variables into folders that represent questionnaire section breaks helps the researcher (and DP department) find variables.
- Tucking the source variables away into "Hidden" (if you've created a categorical array or multiple response variable from them) means you don't overclutter the main variable display. Likewise, it may not be useful to show the respondent ID or other system/dummy variables.
In the web app
- Go to Dataset Properties > Edit Variables to create folders and drag-drop variables. See: Organizing Variables
You can click the Download structure link that appears on the lower right in the web app to download the Crunch Automation scipt that defines the folder structure:
- In Variable Properties - is the ability to select "Hide Variable" as well
As this is a very common task, you make like to consider the Script Builder for efficiency.
Another means to generate Crunch Automation more efficiently is to use the Download Structure link from the web app (as noted above).
- See this vignette: https://crunch.io/r/crunch/articles/variable-order.html