Combing responses is about taking a series of categorical responses and merging them together in a new variable.
For example, you have single categorical variable representing 'country. It has 50 different countries in it as categories. You want to create an additional variable that represents 'continent'.
The use case here is slightly different from creating a subtotal and from creating a summary from a categorical array.
- A subtotal appears as an additional category on the same variable (in bold in the web app).
- A summary from a categorical array (such as a top 2 box) is about deriving a new multiple response array (that is, you're collapsing across multiple variables at once).
In the web app
- Using the + button (bottom left) to access Combine. See: Combining categories.
- There is also a shortcut button under Variable Properties in each variable that says "Combine Categories"
- See the combine() function.