Making 'Top Box' and other summary variables
This article is part of The Definitive Guide to Uploading and Preparing Data.
In the below image, the variable on the left is a categorical array, and the variable on the right is a 'top 2 box' summary that is derived from it. The categorical array has subtotal which is also a 'top 2 box' column (ie: the 74% for Wyndex). The multiple response variable is essentially a categorical array but only selects certain values (ie: in this case, the 'top 2 box').
So you have a choice with 2 top boxes, you can:
- Insert a subtotal on the grid (categorical array)
- Creating a top 2 box summary variable (multiple response)
In a 'top box' summary variable, you are deriving a multiple response variable that only considers certain categories from the categorical array (in this case the 'top 2 box', but it could be the bottom box or whatever you like).
In the web app
- See: Creating multiple response and categorical arrays
- See: Creating a top 2 box in the web application
- For creating 'top box' summary variables, see: How to create a new 'top 2 box' summary using R