This article is part of the Definitive Guide to Uploading and Preparing Data.
Setting variable structures is a very important first check to ensure that the datafile is set up correctly. This is about the grouping of variables into multiple responses and arrays (scales).
In Crunch, you don't need or want individual variables floating around if they belong to the one question in the questionnaire. See Recommendations for setting up a clean and duty dataset.
In the web app
- You use the array builder from the + New Variable button (bottom left)
- The instructions for this, including video, are covered extensively here.
- Tip: As you don't need to see contributing variables to the array, you can hide variables.
- Principally, you use the function deriveArray()
- The creation of arrays is also a key part of this shortcut approach using Excel to manipulate the metadata.