This article describes the basics of using Crunch Automation through two tutorial videos:
- Video 1: An Introduction to Crunch Automation — introduces concepts using a generic example
- Video 2: Setting up an SPSS file — describes a Crunch Automation use case, which includes an associated sample file and script
The aim of these video tutorials is to give you a solid grasp on how Crunch Automation works and, more importantly, where you can find more information.
Video 1: An Introduction to Crunch Automation
The Introduction to Crunch Automation tutorial video covers the following:
- What is Crunch Automation?
- How to find it in the web app
- How it works — using aliases, using commands
- Where to find the commands in the Help Center
- Demonstration of a few basic commands and their results
- Understanding and fixing a minor error message
- Running multiple/subsequent scripts
- Restoring a dataset to a Crunch Automation save point
- Discuss schema versus non-schema commands and the rules around them
Video 2: Setting up an SPSS file
The setting up an SPSS file tutorial video covers the following:
- Example of SPSS import (loss of key metadata)
- Performing 3 key tasks here from the Definitive Guide to tidy:
- CHANGE (Titles and Descriptions)
- Grouping variables with:
CREATE MULTIPLE SELECTION is also shown as relevant to the example dataset.
- CREATE CATEGORICAL ARRAY
- CREATE MULTIPLE DICHOTOMY
The example shown in this tutorial video is from Pew Research, which is their Core Trends Survey on Mobile Technology and Home Broadband in 2019. To view the SPSS file along with the questionnaire, simply register to download this free datafile.
You can download the following example Crunch Automation script text file):