The following describes how to import survey data from Confirmit into Crunch.
Importing a Confirmit survey
Before you can import any survey data, you must establish a connection to your Confirmit instance. The connection credentials will be saved with Crunch in a secure manner for future use.
To establish a connection with Confirmit in order to import survey data into Crunch:
- Open the Crunch UI and navigate to New dataset » Import data.
- Select Confirmit on the 'Import data' page.
- Once you have selected Confirmit from the list of integrations, the following page appears:
- Enter the following:
- Confirmit user name — same as the one you use to connect to your Confirmit instance on your local network.
- Confirmit password — same as the one you use to connect to your Confirmit instance on your local network.
- Target host name — the name of the host that is used when logging in. It's the part of the URL between the https:// and first / you use to connect to your Confirmit server in your browser. It's possible that the hostname you use on your internal network is different from the one that Crunch needs to connect to. If this is the case make sure to connect your IT department with Crunch's support staff so we can verify the correct information, as well as the firewall setting changes required to make everything work properly.
- When the connection has been established, select a survey from the list of surveys that appear.
You can also use the search bar to refine the list by a search term (e.g., the project number). Unlike other importers, the listings for Confirmit do not display the number of respondents (because Confirmit only makes this information available at import time).
- Select a language from the list that appears next to the list of surveys.
The language selection defaults to English but can be set to another language. It will only import another language if Confirmit has been programmed with that language correctly, otherwise, imports default to English.
- Click Import.
- A progress screen appears while the survey is being imported.
- When the survey import completes, the finished dataset appears.
Your dataset is now ready for use. Don't worry if the dataset takes longer to complete than expected. When the dataset import completes, it appears in the folder that was originally selected when completed, whether or not you wait for the progress screen to show a finished state.
Unlike some of our other integrations, Confirmit runs on standalone servers that are managed by you. For this reason, the connectivity is somewhat different, as described in the following:
- Your Confirmit server is usually behind a firewall.
- In order for Crunch to be able to connect to your Confirmit instance, Crunch must first provide you with the IP address(es) required for Crunch's web services to connect to Confirmit.
- You must then change your firewall settings to allow the Crunch servers to connect through this "hole" in the firewall.
In this way Crunch will act as a proxy to your Confirmit server, requesting survey information on your behalf, and then using this information to generate datasets that can then be used on the Crunch platform.
Sequence of connectivity
The following is a graphical description of how the steps that are performed for Crunch to interact with the your Confirmit instance. This is what is required in order to pull data directly into the Crunch platform from Confirmit: